- Agar Agar 2 tbsp
- Shortening 1 tbsp
- Corn Syrup/Liquid Glucose 3 tbsp
- Icing sugar 4 cups
- Tylose Powder 3.5 tsp
- water 1/2 cup
- Shelf life: Room temperature: 1 week
- Refrigerator: 3 months (let it come to room temperature before using)
- Freezer: 1 year (thaw and let it come to room temperature before using)
- Agar Agar – replace with Gelatin (3.5 tsp) if not making Veg Gumpaste
1. Add Agar agar powder/ gelatin to water and let stand for 1 minute.
2. Stir over simmering heat until dissolved and the paste thickens
3. Add corn syrup and shortening and stir till dissolved.
4. Strain this mixture and let cool a little.
5. Attach mixer bowl to mixer platform. Add the icing sugar and tylose powder.
6. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix to combine. At first the mixture will be very soft, beat on medium speed about 5 minutes. The mixture will stiffen up. A plastic scrapper helps remove the sticky, gooey mixture.
7. Place in a greased airtight covered container.